control-alt-delete

John Pettigrew john at pettigrew.org.uk
Wed Nov 5 22:44:48 CET 2003

In a previous message, Amarpreet Rattan <arattan at math.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> By 'for dependency reasons' i mean if, for example, I did this with
> xfce4-panel (did a 'checkinstall') then if program xxx.rpm REQUIRED
> xfce4-panel (not required by xfce4-panel), then would xxx.rpm know that the
> program is installed?  I don't mean dependencies for xfce4-panel, but
> programs that depend on xfce4-panel.

If you built xfce4-panel using checkinstall, this package itself would not
contain any dependency information. Any subsequent package xxx.rpm that itself
depended on xfce4-panel would install fine on your setup because xfce4-panel
is present in the rpm database - this is part of the point of using
checkinstall.

What wouldn't work properly is installing xfce4-panel on someone else's
computer. A 'properly' constructed rpm would contain a list of the packages
that the xfce4-panel rpm depends on (say, xfce4-foo and xfce4-bar). If this
person doesn't have xfce4-foo installed, the xfce4-panel rpm would still
install (because the dependency information is missing), but it wouldn't then
work properly (because the package it depends on is absent). Your computer
doesn't suffer from this because, in order for xfce4-panel to have compiled
correctly, you must have had the relevant dependencies installed.

> Also, when you say 'uninstall like any other rpm' do you mean that i just do
> a, again for example,
>
> rpm -e xfce4-panel
>
> ?  I think you are saying that this will remove the program from the rpm
> database and uninstall the program.

Exactly so - that's the point of using checkinstall. Much easier than chasing
all the files produced during a 'make install'   :-)

HTH

John
--
John Pettigrew                         Headstrong Games
john at headstrong-games.co.uk            Fun : Strategy : Price