Starting XFce4 without kdm or gdm

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Sat Nov 1 17:40:59 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-11-01 at 10:40, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:55:55 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> <pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com> wrote:
>
> > Up until this point I have either used kdm or gdm to login to XFce-4,
> > depending on whether I'm using Mandrake or Red Hat. Is there any other
> > Desktop Manager I could use that's lighter, but would still allow for a
> > user/password login?
> >
> > Appreciate any advise and experiences. I really want to trim the memory
> > usage down to the bare minimum in getting XFce-4 up and running.
>
> Sorry for not saying this the first time around, but IMHO you shouldn't
> use Mandrake if you care that much about trimming and (as it appears in
> another post of yours) don't care about looks.

<big sigh of understanding>

Yeah...I know. I'm already in the process of moving away from Mandrake.
My hardware is not cutting-edge or state-of-the-art. The hassles that
come from using an O/S that is being released just a little faster than
the bridge burns behind it is really taking its toll on me. I don't have
the time to fix what gets released broken or is too aggressive for what
I am running. It's great for what it portends to be, but I'm not sure
it's the best learning tool for a beginners. There's something to be
said for a simple distro that works in most all cases and looks
"plain-Jane", but highly configurable. :0)

If I was more experienced right now, I would consider Debian for its
stability. I'm not one of those that needs the latest and the greatest
all the time, especially on a production machine. Maybe in time.:0)

However, I found that in disabling 'acpi' on my laptop, I was able to
use kdm to run XFce-4 without the instability problems of before, though
I still have the KDE overhead I don't need. That's a start. I can also
always go back to running 'startxfce4' at the shell prompt after booting
up. I still have some choices until I know what I'm doing in
reconfiguring the way X comes up. :0)

Paul