Starting XFce4 without kdm or gdm

Paul M. Bucalo pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com
Sat Nov 1 13:59:16 CET 2003

On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:12, Paul M. Bucalo wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 17:11, Atte André Jensen wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 16:55:55 -0500, Paul M. Bucalo
> > <pmbuc at pmbenterprises.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Up until this point I have either used kdm or gdm to login to XFce-4,
> > > depending on whether I'm using Mandrake or Red Hat. Is there any other
> > > Desktop Manager I could use that's lighter, but would still allow for a
> > > user/password login?
> >
> > AFAIK you have two options:
> >
> > 1) xdm
> >
> > 2) Text-based login
> >
> > If you go with xdm, be aware that although it looks quite ugly default (at
> > least under debian) it can quite easily be made rater elegant...

I tried xdm but found that there was much more to making it work for me
than just replacement and activation on my Mandrake-driven laptop.
Mandrake seems to have modified heavily the Xserver support files to
make it possible for KDE to work with its aggressive setup. I'm going to
have to play with this on one of my secondary Red Hat  workstations,
first. I guess I'm still not at that level of experience to be going
about dicing and splicing on my primary work machine. :0) I'm also
looking into 'qingy' and 'Login.app' and see how they fair for me.

Thanks for the referrals, everyone.

Paul