xfce and RH9

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed May 14 13:32:32 CEST 2003

ok, a bit more explanation,

There are two menuing systems for GNOME and KDE that are currently in
use. This will be different for different distributions.

1) 'Classic' menu system
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A collection of .desktop files in a directory hierarchy
(/usr/share/gnome/apps, /usr/share/kde/applnk, /etc/X11/applink, ...),
which determines the menu structure, i.e. a directory is a submenu. This
works with xfce3 (You can set GNOMEDIR and KDEDIR variables if it
doesn't work properly).

Gnome 1 and I believe all kde (except RedHat's version) use this sytem.

2) VFolder menu system
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is a draft specification on freedesktop.org that is used by gnome2
and implemented for kde and other software in Red Hat 9 I think.

There is a single .desktop file repository, /usr/share/applications, and
the menu structure is defined by an xml file (vfolder.info or something)
in combination with Category keywords in the .desktop files.

This specification is still changing and until it is more or less stable
we will not support it (unless someone writes a patch ;-).

The XFce 4 menu does't support any automatic menu generation, but you
could use scripts to do so (search the xfce4-dev archive) and the debian
packages in unstable support generating a debian menu.

	Jasper