xfce via vnc question

Brad Cox bcox at virtualschool.edu
Sat May 10 19:27:29 CEST 2003

I'm trying to access a remote (headless) server via vncviewer.
vncviewer connects fine but the screen is blank with no xfce panel or
menus.

I've installed xfce and dependencies on the server and run the xfce
install script as instructed. The .xinitrc file looks fine, as does
the .xfce directory. I added an xterm& line to .xinitrc, but that
didn't change things a bit.

I suspect the problem is that I don't understand the X startup
process well enough and the xinit process isn't happening. Can
someone please advise? Thanks!