xfsamba deadlock

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Tue Mar 18 21:17:55 CET 2003

	I just ran into a strange problem with xfsamba.  Yes, I know that
there's no more work being done on it but I thought I'd post this
anyway.

	I have been having trouble getting xfsamba to mount shares for a while
now.  Just today I noticed that there was the ability to view a
diagnostic panel (yes, I can be quite slow sometimes).  I enabled it and
now I know what's going on.  First off, it seems that there is a
difference between "/" and "\" when logging on.  Now that I'm using the
correct one I find myself in an infinite loop (logically speaking, not
programmatically).

	When I try and mount a share I get this error:

3620: Connection to CTOFS01 failed
smbmnt must be installed suid root for direct user mounts (500,500)
smbmnt failed: 1

	When I suid smbmnt to root I get this:

libsmb based programs must *NOT* be setuid root.
SMB connection failed

	This means that I can't mount unless smbmnt is suid root which isn't
allowed to run suid root.

	Just so much fun.....

--
Farewell neighbor.  Thank you for giving us a safe place for so many
years.