using transparent aterm

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Fri Jun 27 16:23:32 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-06-26 at 23:33, Robert Brimhall wrote:
> Did you set this in the settings manager under the file manager global?
> Or is this another bash setting? I tried the first so I guess it must be
> the latter... you'll have to forgive me... I'm still a newbie... or feel
> like one even after over a year with Linux...

The environment variables being set under the mcs-manager (filemanager)
only affect xffm. IOW, only xffm is listening on the channel. IMO, all
xfce apps should listen for changes in environment variables which might
affect them. That way there is no need for using "export" or "setenv"
(depending on shell used), and having to restart the program after that.
Also, we should probably converge to common variables for similar
things, and converge to standards. From the "man environ" in FBSD:

"The following names are used by various commands: BLOCKSIZE, EDITOR,
HOME, LANG, MAIL, PAGER, PATH, PRINTER, PWD, SHELL, TERM, TERMCAP,
TERMPATH, TMPDIR, TZ, USER"

Using TERM instead of TERMCMD allows specifying the terminal to be used
in other non-xfce programs.

It would be cool if all the environment variables could be handled from
the xfce-mcs-manager. After all, xfce is a desktop "environment".

Regards,

Edscott