xfce4 panel - print icon

Collins Richey erichey2 at attbi.com
Sun Jun 8 20:46:31 CEST 2003

On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 12:34:09 -0600
Collins Richey <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jun 2003 14:15:06 -0400
> "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb at charter.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you have cups or lpr installed?
> >

> > > How does one configure this to work with the printer?
> > >
> > > When I drag a file to the printer icon, a box opens up that tells
> > > me that only print to file is available, and that operation fails.
> > >
> > > Second attempt to use this tells me that
> > > /home/collins/xfprint-manager does not exist.
> > >
> > > I can't seem to find any useful help file.
> > >
> > > How can I configure the printer icon?  Properties doesn't have
> > > anything useful.
> >

> Yes - cups at the moment.  OO, for example, requires not special
> tweaking to print.  Simple 'cat something | lpr' is all that's
> required to get something to the printer.

I'm not sure how the settings wound up this way, but a little guesswork
was successful.  There is no /home/collins/xfprint-manager, but
executing xfprint-manager led me to a dialog to define a printer.  Since
my cups filter & ghostscript handle that, I selected postscript printer.

Then changing the properties of the icon to execute simply xfprint works
like a champ.

Hope this helps anyone else who falls into this snakepit.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
gentoo stable - ext3