Future of XFce3

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Mon Jun 2 08:29:58 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-01 at 19:58, R P Herrold wrote:
> > > I think a decision on this needs to be taken ASAP, before bitrot
> > > begins to set in to the XFce3 codebase.
> > >
> > > Any comments?
>
> ummm -- xfce-3 compiles cleanly and runs great on PPC [YDL
> 3.0] and Sparc [Aurora 1.0] and x86 [RHL 7.3 through present
> RawHide] with a simple rpmbuild.  What justifies the need for
> an ASAP decision?
>
> -- Russ Herrold

apparently there was some bug discussion on a BSD mailing list.

all I know is that people get nervous when there's no updates in a long
time and the principal developers announce that all effort is going into
a new, from-scratch tree.

I'd like to see GTK2 support in XFce3, but I certainly don't want GTK2
bad enough to switch to XFce4, so I would welcome continuation of the
XFce3 code if it happened, FWIW. My tune might change when XFce4 hits a
beta or RC status and can be installed with ./configure && make && make
install, but that's then and this is now.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...