Some questions for a newbie

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jul 27 23:17:20 CEST 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Mark Welker wrote:

> When I started using Linux in 1998 I made a big mistake and still don't
> know how I did it. I was not use to reading man pages and was trying to
> figure out tar and gzip. Some how I managed to make the system one big
> tarball and erased every thing else. I learned my lesson. You can make
> tarballs and do just about every other thing without being root.

  We all have horror stories like this. Before I aliased 'rm' to 'rm -i' (to
confirm I really want to delete a file), my fingers got ahead of my brain
and I inadvertently deleted _all_ the dot-files in my home directory. Quick:
can you name all the dot-files you have? :-)

  Anyway, after the moment of panic wore off I got the last weekly, full
backup and restored them all from tape. Ever since I accept typing 'y' to
the question, 'Remove ...?'.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)