Shortcut keys

Brett I. Holcomb brettholcomb at charter.net
Sat Jan 25 17:45:27 CET 2003

I'm using Sylpheed-Claws 0.8.7 and although I like it here's a couple of
gotchas:

1.  It is NOT multithreaded - if you are composing or reading everything
in Sylpheed stops while it gets messages in the newsgroups.  I didn't
realize this when I installed it and it's been a big hassle.  I've
bugged it but was told it's on the list but due to the structure of
Sylpheed it would be difficult to do.  I know they said it's an Outlook
Express type of mailer/reader - I guess they were right as it can't
multitask <G>>

2.  Search folders is broken in that if you have "Hide read messages"
checked search will NOT display any of it's findings.  You have to
uncheck the Hide Read option.  I've bugged this too as my experience has
been that search displays all it's matches irregardless of whether or
not it's read or filtered - 0therwise search is useless.

At this point, much as I like things about Sylpheed I'm looking for
another mail/news client too.  I used Korn under KDE in another distro
and liked it but I don't want to bring in the KDE stuff to support korn.
 I used to use Kmail and don't want to go back to it either.

Anyone used xfmail or have other GUI recommendations?

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 08:28:47 -0800
Ken Moffat <kmoffat at drizzle.com> wrote:

> Philip Webb wrote:
> > 030123 William Trenker wrote:
> >
> >>Can you recommend a good email client to use with xfce?
> >

> > Mutt is very powerful & configurable:
> > it runs in a terminal with keystroke commands.  goto  www.mutt.org/
> > .
> >
> > to send mail you will need eg Ssmtp : see the Mutt FAQ.
> >

> Missed the beginning of this thread, but
> Sylpheed is a quick gui based client, and does pop3 and imap.
> For mutt you need to have your linux mail transport system functional.
> check out exim for mail transport. fetchmail for retrieval.
>
> --
> Ken Moffat
> kmoffat at drizzle.com

Brett I. Holcomb