Is xfce4 close to release?

gardnerj gardnerj at allvantage.com
Fri Jan 24 20:01:06 CET 2003

From: James Tappin <sjt at star.sr.bham.ac.uk>
Date:  Fri, 24 Jan 2003 17:35:50 +0000

>On 24 Jan 2003 12:25:26 -0500
>Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com> wrote:
>
>JK> On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 03:55, William wrote:
>JK>
>JK> > I notice some folks are using xfce4.  How close is the cvs to a
>JK> > release?  I use xfce3 as my only desktop environment so I wouldn't
>JK> > want to compromise that if xfce4 is still too 'green'.  But I
>JK> > don't mind testing the newer version if it is fairly close to a
>JK> > release.
>JK>
>JK> 	I'd guess that it's about two months off from being a "beta"
>JK> 	release of
>JK> the entire xfce4 suite.  But that's just a sawg on my part.
>JK>
>
>IMHO as an end user, there is just one thing that's really needed before
>it's truly usable on production systems and that is a session management
>package. The rest of the important stuff pretty much works as it should
>(a few glitches but at this stage that's to be expected) and is pretty
>impressive.

I'd have to agree here. My wife and I ONLY ever use Xfce3 anymore when something goes terribly wrong with my build of Xfwm4 or Xfce4 and that doesn't happen anymore. Even then if the problem was Xfce4 I could still run Xfce3 under Xfwm4. The two "whole shebangs" CAN both reside on your system.
I've kinda cheated with the Session Management a little and put any apps I want started when I login in in the Xfce4 session file for gdm. That really only consists of gkrellm right now, but I've thought of adding others.

Jonathan