how to: additional icons

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Fri Jan 24 05:37:36 CET 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:33:02 +0100, Didier Wiroth wrote:

> Hey,
> (I'm using xfce4 on FreeBSD4.7)
>
> I have installed evolution & openoffice and I would like to add
> buttons, with evolution or openoffice specific icons to the taskbar.

I assume you mean the panel. The taskbar doesn't support addition of
icons, AFAIK.

> 1) What format do the icons have to be?

Most of my icons are either xpms or pngs.

> 2) Can I download additional third party application icons for xfce4
> somewhere?

I've never bothered. Many applications ship an icon along with the
package. On RH8 they're usually in /usr/share/pixmap or
/usr/share/icons.

> 3) Are there specific icons requirements for xfce4 (format of the
> file, different sizes etc..)
The panel buttons will automatically scale most images. I'd suggest that
you pick images approximately the same size as your panel icons to
minimize loss of quality due to scaling.

HTH,

-- b