An interesting problem with 3.8.18

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Jan 17 03:04:04 CET 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 17:42:22 -0800
"Net Llama!" <netllama at linux-sxs.org> wrote:

> On 01/16/03 17:35, Collins wrote:
> > On 16 Jan 2003 21:57:22 +0100
> > Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Rich,
> >>
> >> Xfce itself doesn't lock your screen but rather invoke either
> >> xlockmore of xscreensaver, depending on what is available on the
> >host> system.
> >>
> >> What you describe is probably either a bug in xlock or xscreensaver
> >or> simply a bad configuration in xscreensaver, or even a crash on X
> >> because of the blank...
> >>

> > There are one or more screensaver choices in the xscreensaver
> > panoply that always lock my machine.  One has lots of little colored
> > pixels that appear all over the screen.  It's been that way for
> > several years. Since I didn't have time to prowl through the choices
> > to find the culprit, I don't use xscreensaver any more.
> >
> > I wish people would clean up their trash.
>
> I've seen that as a symptom of bad RAM.

Always a possibility, but I've seen the same behavior on three different
machines over a period of several years, and I never have other memory
intensive processes (kernel compiles, glibc installs, etc.) fail.
Someday I'll dig into the xscreensaver demo and find and trash the
culprit.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
gentoo 1.4 system