An interesting problem with 3.8.18

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 16 21:39:51 CET 2003

  From the traffic I see on the mail list perhaps no one's interested in
3.8.18 any more, but I just had a strange experience and I'd like to
understand it so I don't repeat the situation.

  On my client workstation my fiancee was logged in and left for lunch. So,
I tried the lock button widget on the control panel to blank the screen. As
this is what I do on my server/workstation all the time and it does just
fine, I expected the other box to behave the same way.

  Wrong. It locked the monitor all right, but it didn't blank it. As a
matter of fact, the monitor was locked so tightly that I couldn't clear it
remotely by ssh'ing in and killing processes! Like a teenager, it completely
ignored me and (of course) the trackball and keyboard were ignored.

  Has anyone an idea of why this might have happened?

Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)