graphical login with xfce

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Tue Feb 18 23:01:13 CET 2003

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 01:17 pm, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Didier,
>
> If you use gdm (or gdm2), install xfce-utils and you'll have a session
> "XFce4" in the list of available sessions (ie, nothing to edit/modify)
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.
>
> On Tue, 2003-02-18 at 20:31, Wiroth Didier wrote:
> > Hey,
> > (I'm *nix newbie)
> >
> > I'm currently running xfce4 (from cvs), I would like to
> > setup a graphical login manager like xdm, I actualy don't
> > like xdm (from a graphical point of view).
> >
> > 1) Is it possible to use kdm, gdm or gdm2 as a graphical
> > login?
> > 2) What script do I have to modify to launch xfce, is it
> > still .xsession?
> >
> > May be someone has a link to share?!

If you are trying to keep a light weight system, consider the fact that gdm
and kdm must load a fair amount of stuff (=long wait on a slow machine)
before you even get a login script, and you aren't going to need all the
loaded crap unless you actually use gnome/kde programs.

xdm is much more light weight, but somewht brain dead unless you figure out
how to use the chooser stuff (needlessly complex, and a book with seven seals
for me).  Without the chooser, you get only the gui equivalent of startx,
i.e. you must set the seiion in advance.  Since I don't switch sessions much
(I'm evaluating kde right now, but I'll probably be back on xfce before
long).

One mod which I have implemented is extra reboot/shutdown/single-user buttons
based on a BSD entry you can find with a google for "buttons.tcl".  This
extension requires tcl/tk.  It would be nice to have this support built into
xdm.

Enjoy
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area