instalation xfce4 on debian

Ken Moffat kmoffat at drizzle.com
Sat Dec 27 19:47:28 CET 2003

marc wrote:

>hello,
>can i install xfce4 on debian woody stable, or i should somehow
>upgrade my dist to unstable [how to do what?] and then install becouse
>there aren't .deb packages for debian stable woody 3.0?
>thank you in advance

One thing to try is change your /etc/apt/sources.list to point to
unstable, run "synaptic" and update the list, using the [Update list]
button, or use "apt-get update", then try installing the xfce4 packages
to see what dependencies are failing. Then you can decide what you want
to do. If the upgrade is too extreme you may want to pass. You could
download the source and use checkinstall to build debs.

You don't have synaptic? Try apt-get install synaptic. It's a nice gui
and worth having.

You should put things back if you want to stay with stable, by changing
your sources.list back to the way it was and running apt-get update.
Otherwise you will be accessing unstable sources.

If you want to use source it's pretty painstaking to build each deb
package. I have seen scripts that do the build automatically. You might
google around a bit.

--
Ken