Window manager hints error?

Bill Witherspoon billw at witherspoon-design.com
Sat Dec 27 07:05:43 CET 2003

* Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> [2003-12-27 10:26:26 +0530]:

> On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 10:31:50 -0500, Bill Witherspoon wrote:
>
> > * Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> [2003-12-26 10:05:28 +0530]:

> > > Sounds like your window manager isn't running.
> > >
> > > -- b
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > I've just been using the following in my .xinitrc file:
> >
> > xset -b
> >
> > /usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver -nosplash &
> > exec startxfce4
> >
> > Has startxfce4 been deprecated? (I've dropped back down to 4.0.0 again,
> > and can't check...) How is everyone else start XFCE?
>
> Hmmm ... thats the correct way. I guess it's crashing soon after startup. Can
> you post the contents of your .xsession-errors ?

Hmm... rather embarassingly, I cannot find any .xsession-errors files in
my $HOME (or elsewhere). I see that the Xsession script in
/etc/X11/Sessions/XSession is trying to write any errors to $HOME, but
I'm unsure if its even being invoked. Are the .xsession-errors deleted
everytime X is restarted (cause I've done that a few dozen times tonight
;-)

I did try a new .xinitrc, with each component (xfwm4, etc.) redirecting
output to a different text file, but all were blank. A ps -aux shows
that indeed xfwm4 is not running. My test .xinitrc is below:

xfce-mcs-manager
xfwm4 --daemon > out.txt
xftaskbar&
xfdesktop&
xfce4-panel

It's very intersting to me that the 4.0.0 build seems to run ok, but
neither the 4.0.1 or 4.0.2 work. I'm going to knock off for the night
but I appreciate the help!

Bill.