Icons instead of taskbar possible?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Dec 21 19:12:36 CET 2003

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003, Chris Green wrote:

> I suspect that it makes it easier/cheaper to manufacture as no translation
> or multi-language confuguration is needed, but from the point of view of
> the user it's a retrograde step.

  The matra from Apple and Microsoft is that pictures are (ahem!)
"intuitive". About 15 years ago I worked for another consulting company and
the staff graphic artist had a Mac. As I never played with one before, he
let me give it a try. Within two minutes I had it locked up so tightly that
he had to shut it down and restart.

  When he asked what I did that was so severe I replied, "All I saw was
pictures, so I was clicking on them and it just died." So much for
"intuitive", eh? Of course, _everything's_ intuitive once you learn it.
Which proves the point that the only intuitive interface is the nipple; all
else is learned.

Rich

--
Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President