Icons instead of taskbar possible?

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 17:48:16 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 08:41:11AM -0800, Jack Coates wrote:

> > > Deleting the xftaskbar4 line from this file fixed my problem.
> > >
> > > So why is /etc/xfce4/xinitrc being run in preference to my local ones?
> > > I have both $HOME/.xfce4/xinitrc and .xinitrc.  However, on looking,
> > > the $HOME/.xinitrc file hasn't got the executable bit set, I'll check
> > > if that is affecting anything.
> > >
> > No effect.
> >
> > The *only* file X seems to execute at startup is /etc/xfce4/xinitrc,
> > it's ignoring all the ones in my home directory.  I'll see if I can
> > follow what X startup is doing (this is on a pretty well bog standard
> > Slackware 9.1 installation).
>
> IIRC, this is how it goes:
> gdm/xdm/kdm/mdkdm/*dm calls an Xsession file for XFce4.

Hmm, that's not how it actually works though, admittedly that's what
it (sort of says) but, by default, there aren't any Xsession files or
$HOME/.xsession ones.  The way that I get to default to running xcfe4
seems to have bypassed Xsession altogether.

> That file calls startxfce4
> startxfce4 looks for xinitrc files in /etc/xfce4, ~/.xfce4/,
> /usr/local/etc/xfce4, and probably a few other places, like the sock
> drawer. It then uses whichever one it found first.

That's where xdm *should* get to, but it doesn't appear to do so.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)