xfce startup sequence

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 17:32:51 CET 2003

On Sun, Dec 21, 2003 at 06:24:09PM +0200, Alon Weinstein wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
> >Well I've had a look through the X startup scripts and it seems to be
> >as follows (I run xdm as I'm using xfce4 via an X server on a win2k
> >machine):-
> >
> >    xdm is running
> >    If X is started with a window manager parameter that window
> >    manager is stated using the appropriate script.  For xfce it
> >    executes /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce, this looks as if it is
> >    what's happening to me.
> >    If X is started without a window manager parameter then
> >    $HOME/.xsession is run, if that doesn't exist then
> >    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is run which ends up doing the same as
> >    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce since it's a symbolic link to it.
> >
> >So it looks to me that whatever happens a $HOME/.xinitrc or a
> >$HOME/.xfce/xinitrc will *never* be run, I can see no place that looks
> >for these files at all.
> >
> >Maybe this is because I run xdm and not xinit/startx to run X but it
> >seems strange that they are so different.
> >

> That's partially true, and depends on how your environment is set. I use
> xfce on the 'better-OS' (read: Linux ;-) ), and what kickstarts xfce for
> me is the startxfce4 script (put in /usr/bin/ by the RPM packages).

Er, yes, you've misunderstood I think.  I run xfce4 on the "better-OS"
too, I run it on Slackware 9.1 Linux.  The X server that displays what
I do doesn't really come into it.

I don't run startxfce4 because I use xdm, try doing a 'man xdm' on
your Linux box and you'll see what I'm doing.

The trouble would appear to be that xdm does *similar* things to what
startxfce4 does but not exactly the same.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)