xfce startup sequence

Chris Green chris at areti.co.uk
Sun Dec 21 16:54:59 CET 2003

Well I've had a look through the X startup scripts and it seems to be
as follows (I run xdm as I'm using xfce4 via an X server on a win2k
machine):-

    xdm is running
    If X is started with a window manager parameter that window
    manager is stated using the appropriate script.  For xfce it
    executes /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce, this looks as if it is
    what's happening to me.
    If X is started without a window manager parameter then
    $HOME/.xsession is run, if that doesn't exist then
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc is run which ends up doing the same as
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.xfce since it's a symbolic link to it.

So it looks to me that whatever happens a $HOME/.xinitrc or a
$HOME/.xfce/xinitrc will *never* be run, I can see no place that looks
for these files at all.

Maybe this is because I run xdm and not xinit/startx to run X but it
seems strange that they are so different.

--
Chris Green (chris at areti.co.uk)