Newbie question - Autostart

Darrell Cormier linuxdev at sptc.net
Wed Dec 17 21:33:55 CET 2003

Darrell Cormier wrote:
> I have just started using xfce4.  I have a few symbolic links set up in
> the ~/Desktop/Autostart directory so xfce4 will start them during
> initialization.
>
> My question:  is there a way to automagically have these programs start
> in a particular workspace.
>
> Example:
> mozilla -mail in Workspace 2 (named mail)
> jedit in Workspace 12 (named perl)
> etc.
>
> TIA,
> D.

I hate replying to my own post but I have partially solved this issue.
I found the first part of my answer in the archives
http://varmint.moongroup.com/pipermail/xfce/2003-November/006619.html
(thanks  Biju and Michael)

Now I have created the following script in ~/Desktop/Autostart/:

#!/bin/bash

#
# Auto start script
#

KSTART=`which kstart`
weather=`which wmweather`

$KSTART --window 'MOZ' --desktop 2 mozilla &
$KSTART --window 'AMSN' --desktop 10 /opt/msn/amsn &
$KSTART --window 'weather' --desktop 1 $weather -station KLBB -W &
$KSTART --window 'kshowmail' --desktop 2 kshowmail &
$KSTART --window 'gkrellm' --desktop 5 gkrellm &
$KSTART --window 'ops' --desktop 1 konsole &
$KSTART --window 'jedit' --desktop 12 jedit -background &
$KSTART --window 'xffm' --desktop 21 xffm &
$KSTART --window 'grip' --desktop 6 grip &

-----End Script -----

Everything appears to start fine except not on the right desktop (i.e.
workspace).  Everything started on workspace 1 instead of where
specified (except xffm).  Is there something wrong with my script?  Did
I leave something out?

TIA,
D.