xfce4-panel crash "bug" resolution

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Dec 17 11:07:56 CET 2003

Op wo 17-12-2003, om 10:48 schreef Sergey Manucharyan:
> Hi, huysmans!
>
> I'm glad it's not a bug i XFCE, but could mention
> which optimization flags can affect the proper work?
> I think people should know about this - nowhere announced
> the possible problems when using GCC optimization flags.
> Of course, I'll check myself "my case", but if have additional
> information, it'll be helpful.
> Is the optimization affect GTK and/or XFCE? GTK works fine for me.

I'm afraid I can't say, I mentioned sse2 in my reply to the lunar list.
But 'Illegal instruction' really sounds like a binary generated with
optimizations not suitable for your system.

Perhaps you can try to build with CFLAGS=-O2 and see if it works, then,
if it fails rebuild gtk+ and it's dependencies, etc.

This message seems to indicate that you have other programs giving
'Illegal instruction' errors as well:
http://lunar-linux.org/pipermail/lunar/2003-December/003106.html

So, I'm not really sure what to do. Perhaps it may even be caused by bad
RAM or other hardware defects.

Does someone else have a suggestion (the bug is here
http://bugs.xfce.org/view_bug_page.php?f_id=0000046)?

	Jasper