Fedora Core 1 and xfce4 - misc. comments/settings/questions

Thu Dec 11 21:27:43 CET 2003

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 13:40, Figueiredo Paulo wrote:
> Hi,
> I have try to make the changes that you mention below,
> but the xfce doesn't appear available from xdm login
> screen under "Sessions". I'm also using Fedore. Any
> clue about why I can't see that.
>
> Best Regards,
> Paulo

Paulo,

How did you install xfce4?  Did you compile from source, did you use the
xfce yum repository or did you use the NewRPMS yum repository?

That may make a difference in where and how certain files are installed.

I installed from the NewRPMS site using the following in my
/etc/yum.conf file:

[newrpms.sunsite.dk]
name=Fedora Core 1 NewRPMS.sunsite.dk
baseurl=http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc1
gpgcheck=1

I also have it in my up2date /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file:

yum newrpms http://newrpms.sunsite.dk/apt/redhat/en/i386/fc1

I am using NewRPMS as they, DAG, FreshRPMS and ATrpms are working
together to avoid synchronization dependency and version conflict
issues. That has been a problem with some of the Fedora repositories
that have come online.

Also, are you using 'rhgb', the Red Hat Graphical Boot at system
startup? I am not, as it is known to cause problems in certain
situations.

Lastly, be sure that you have all required RPMS installed, if you used
RPMS. My list looks like this:

$ rpm -qa | grep xfce | sort
gtk-xfce-engine-2.1.7-1
libxfce4mcs-4.0.1-1
libxfce4mcs-devel-4.0.1-1
libxfce4util-4.0.1-1
libxfce4util-devel-4.0.1-1
libxfcegui4-4.0.1-1
libxfcegui4-devel-4.0.1-1
xfce4-4.0.1-3
xfce4-artwork-0.0.4-1
xfce4-battery-plugin-0.2.0-1
xfce4-clipman-plugin-0.3.1-1
xfce4-datetime-plugin-0.2-1
xfce4-diskperf-plugin-1.4-1
xfce4-fsguard-plugin-0.2.0-1
xfce4-iconbox-4.0.1-1
xfce4-minicmd-plugin-0.2.0-1
xfce4-mixer-4.0.1-1
xfce4-netload-plugin-0.2.2-1
xfce4-notes-plugin-0.9.7-1
xfce4-panel-4.0.1-1
xfce4-panel-devel-4.0.1-2
xfce4-showdesktop-plugin-0.3.0-1
xfce4-systemload-plugin-0.3.4-1
xfce4-systray-4.0.1-1
xfce4-themes-4.0.0-1
xfce4-toys-4.0.0-1
xfce4-trigger-launcher-4.0.1-1
xfce4-wavelan-plugin-0.1.0-1
xfce4-xmms-plugin-0.1.1-1
xfce-mcs-manager-4.0.1-1
xfce-mcs-manager-devel-4.0.1-1
xfce-mcs-plugins-4.0.1-1
xfce-utils-4.0.1-1

Let me know and I will do what I can to help.

Marc