What screensave is 4.0.1 using?

Scott Jones scott at exti.net
Mon Dec 8 20:46:51 CET 2003

On Monday 08 December 2003 13:00, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I ran 'xscreensaver-demo' and selected "blank screen" for use. When
> I blanked/locked the screen just now I got some silly design wiggling
> around. So I got back to a virtual termanal and typed
> 'xscreensaver-demo'. The system told me that daemon was not running
> and asked me if I wanted to have it started. Which I did.

xlock is used if xscreensaver isn't running.  You should have a line
similar to the following in either /etc/xfce4/xinitrc or
~/.xfce4/xinitrc:

# Launch xscreensaver (if available), but only as non-root user
test $UID -gt 0 && xscreensaver -no-splash &

>   What is the most efficient way to get a blank screen when I lock
> the display or it suspends due to a long idle time? This is for
> version 4.0.1.

If you use xscreensaver, you can tell it to only blank the screen
instead of running the screensavers.

--
Homepage			http://scott.exti.net
XFce desktop environment	http://www.xfce.org