Fedora Core 1 and xfce4 - misc. comments/settings/questions

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 17:25:42 CET 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 10:01, The Matt wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 06:59, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> > Question:
> >
> > 1. I have tried to add the RHN notification applet to the system tray in
> > the xfce panels.  I can do this using rhn-applet-gui& from a console
> > without problem.
> >
> > However, when trying to get this to happen automatically at login, I
> > tried both adding the command to the end of ~/.xfce4/xinitrc and putting
> > a symlink to the command in ~/Desktop/Autostart. Neither method worked.
> > Any ideas?
>
> Hmm...it should work.  At least, I have it in my xinitrc file and it
> works.  My guess it where you have it.  Try putting it before xfdesktop&
> is run in the file (and after taskbar/iconbox).  That is where I add my
> gkrellm, xgamma, &c. commands and all is well.
>
> Matt

Bingo Matt!

That was it. The order required is:

xftaskbar4&

rhn-applet-gui&

xfdesktop&

That also explains what it did not work using the symlink in the
Autostart folder, since that code in xinitrc is prior to the taskbar
startup. I had a feeling it was a sequencing issue, but was not sure
where it should go.

It now works in the system tray, either in the taskbar or in the main
panel. Theoretically speaking of course...  ;-)

Thanks!

Marc