Gnome top panel is offset down after fresh login using XFWM4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at xfce.org
Sun Dec 7 11:37:02 CET 2003

Hi Marc,

On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 03:10, Marc Schwartz wrote:

> 1. I will file a bug with Fedora's (really RH) Bugzilla on this. In
> order to best assist the Gnome folks both in Fedora/RH and upstream,
> what detail information should I provide to them? Is it sufficient to
> use your text above? I presume that I file this against Gnome Panel as a
> component. Pardon my lack of low level knowledge here.

The problem is really in GNOME, not specific to Fedora (I used GNOME
sources). I think it shouled be filled as a GNOME bug.

The description is fairly easy, something like:

"The GNOME panel from GNOME 2.4 doesn't set the ICCCM standard flag
PPosition so the panel are not placed correctly. Metacity doesn't show
the problem as it doesn't place windows of type DOCK, SPLASHSCREEN, etc.
anyway, so they get placed correctly anyway, but that's no standard. The
standard is to use PPosition."

"The problem shows in xfwm4, kwin and plenty of other window managers"

> 2. I will also post a note to the Fedora list on the bug and with the
> URL to your new tarball above (unless you have an objection). This way
> the folks who have the XFWM4 RPMS can roll up a new testing RPM for
> folks if appropriate.

You can, sure, but the tarball I put is prolly not the final 4.0.2
release, so that might be confusing (in other words, I don't want to
release several different 4.0.2 versions!)

> A. Can the gnome panel applets (ie. RHN alert icon) be used with the
> XFCE4 panel?  I presume not, but thought that I would ask to be sure.

GNOME applets won't work, just the systray protocol is standardized.

> B. Is there a way to make gnome-terminal the default terminal
> application under XFCE rather than xterm? I know that I can change the
> terminal run from the panel, but when I tried to run some scripts in a
> console from the panel (ie. some spamassassin stuff), they came up in
> xterm. I searched the list and forum and did not see a way to do this.

Yes, definietly. put

export TERMCMD="gnome-terminal"

somewhere prior to start xfce4 (like in /etc/xfce4/xinitrc for example)

> Thanks again for all of your help on this!

You're welcome.

Cheers,
Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org

   Interoperability is the keyword, uniformity is a dead end.
   http://www.xfce.org