Gnome top panel is offset down after fresh login using XFWM4

Marc Schwartz mschwartz at mn.rr.com
Sun Dec 7 03:10:15 CET 2003

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 18:30, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Okay, good news: I found out, it's really a bug in gnome for me...
>
> metacity doens't place windows of type dock, splashscreen, etc. even
> when those did not ask for specific location.
>
> the new gnome panel doesn't specify a location (using standard
> WM_NORMAL_HINTS PPositon flag) so it gets placed as any other window,
> where space is available on screen.
>
> That should be filed as a bug in GNOME 2.4. In the meantime, I've put a
> workaround in xfwm4 so it behaves exactly like metacity.
>
> http://www.xfce.org/archive/test/xfwm4-4.0.2.tar.gz
>
> Cheers,
> Olivier.

Olivier,

Thanks for your time on this. It is appreciated.

Some questions:

1. I will file a bug with Fedora's (really RH) Bugzilla on this. In
order to best assist the Gnome folks both in Fedora/RH and upstream,
what detail information should I provide to them? Is it sufficient to
use your text above? I presume that I file this against Gnome Panel as a
component. Pardon my lack of low level knowledge here.

2. I will also post a note to the Fedora list on the bug and with the
URL to your new tarball above (unless you have an objection). This way
the folks who have the XFWM4 RPMS can roll up a new testing RPM for
folks if appropriate.

3. Also, two questions if you don't mind, not directly related to this
issue, but as part of my transition process:

A. Can the gnome panel applets (ie. RHN alert icon) be used with the
XFCE4 panel?  I presume not, but thought that I would ask to be sure.

B. Is there a way to make gnome-terminal the default terminal
application under XFCE rather than xterm? I know that I can change the
terminal run from the panel, but when I tried to run some scripts in a
console from the panel (ie. some spamassassin stuff), they came up in
xterm. I searched the list and forum and did not see a way to do this.

Thanks again for all of your help on this!

Best regards,

Marc