what starts xinitrc?

Tobias Kretschmer tobias.kretschmer at epost.de
Mon Dec 1 22:13:30 CET 2003

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 12:41:36 -0800 (PST)
synaptical <synaptical at linuxquestions.net> wrote:

> as the subject says, what calls xinitrc? when i startxfce4, i
> always get two /usr/local/etc/xfce4/xinitrc processes in ps ax,
> and i have to kill the second one. i think i asked this some time
> ago, but i don't remember getting a response, or perhaps i missed
> it (so here it is again :p). but i'd really like to get rid of
> that second process starting every time.
>
> appreciate :)

As far as I know, /usr/local/etc/xfce44/xinitrc is started by xfce4
itself, I'm not sure which programm in itself. Where is at least on
other xinitrc file on your machine. It typically resides in your
HOME-Dir (called .xinitrc there) containing some information
about what to do when logging in to an X desktop and is called
everytime you start the XServer from a console using startx.
Starting from xdm or another graphical login uses.xsession for that.

However I couldn't find a process entry for xinitrc on my machine
(Debian 3.0 Woody). What are you uisng?

Tobias