Running -4.0.1 on IBM ThinkPad 600E

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Dec 2 02:44:44 CET 2003

  My fiancee's laptop is a 4-year-old IBM ThinkPad 600E. It ran
Slackware-9.0 with Xfce-3.8.18 just fine. I upgraded the OS to Slackware-9.1
and Xfce-4.0.1. Now, while 'startxfce4' brings up the root window and panel
(and I guess it's a task bar which is the broad, white band at the top of
the screen), I cannot open a virtual terminal.

  When I try attaching the fully-qualified name of /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm to
the panel button, nothing comes up. When I kill X I see on the screen:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xterm: error while loading shared libraries:
libutempter.so.O: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

  That's true: no 'libutempter.so.O' is on the system.

  I have Slackware-9.1 with Xfce-4.0.1 running on a workstation and another
laptop with no problems so I'm at a complete loss what to do. And, of
course, I'm being pressured to fix the problem so she can use the machine.

  All help greatly appreciated!

TIA,

Rich

--