Xinerama mode [Re: using two monitors with XFce4]

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Mon Dec 1 20:28:39 CET 2003

Hi All,

In follow up of the messages below:
I did not have a shared variant of the Xinerama library, so I prepared it
according to the README and FAQ. Compilation went fine AFAICT, but starting
xfce4 gave just the xmessage box saying xfce crashed and that I should report
it.
Killing X showed me a few xfce modules complaining about not being able to load
libXinerama.so: file or directory not found, but:
remco at mars remco]$ ls -lh /usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.*
-rw-r--r--    1 root	 root	      5,3K Sep	5 21:59
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.a
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root	 root		16 Dec	1 20:02
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so -> libXinerama.so.1*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root	 root	      6,7K Dec	1 20:13
/usr/X11R6/lib/libXinerama.so.1*

So I recreated the so.1 with the -shared option instead of -share, because the
manpage did not mention -share, but same problem: XFce4 just won't start.

I also created a shared variant of libXxf86misc.

The only thing I could discover in the XF86 logfile was the DRI could not be
started, could that be the problem?

I use XFree86 4.3.0
Compiled everything from source, did check all md5sums.

Can anybody help me out here?

Thanks!

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)

| Linux kernel 2.4.22 | Mandrake 9.1 | XFce 4.0.0 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |