[PLUG] Red Hat version 8.0 due out Monday (9/30) (fwd)

gardnerj at provide.net gardnerj at provide.net
Fri Sep 27 22:43:32 CEST 2002

On Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:47:38 -0700 (PDT)
 Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On 27 Sep 2002, Olivier Fourdan wrote:
>
> > Bluecurve is not a new gui, it's a couple of themes for
>  GNOME and KDE
> > that make theme look almost identical. I have ported
>  this theme to xfwm4
> > but I won't release it.
>
> Olivier,
>
>   I noticed that both sample images looked quite similar.
>  I think the
> differences are very subtle. More to the point: I could
>  not care less.
>
>   Thank you for not releasing the xfwm port. I don't like
>  the "look and
> feel" of Windows, with cute little pictures (and the
>  required word
> description, of course) taking up real estate better used
>  by applications.
> That's one of the reasons I like xfce so much: less is
>  more.
>
>   On this subject, and the Xfce-4 available Real Soon
>  Now, the one feature I
> would _really_ appreciate in xfce is the ability to drop
>  the control panel
> off the bottom of the viewable window, leaving a little
>  piece on which to
> click to bring it back up. Or, do it with keystrokes. I
>  think it was on
> Gnome/Enlightenment a couple of years ago when I saw this
>  on a friend's
> workstation. It was so nice to have the entire screen
>  available for
> applications. For example, four virtual consoles, tiled
>  over the entire
> screen; only when we needed to move to a different
>  virtual desktop did he
> bring up the control panel for the move. Please put this
>  on your "I'll think
> about it" list. :-)

Well, I haven't tried this with the panel, but I discovered
 much to my delight that xfdeskmenu will show a list of
 "windows" open in each desktop *even if they are
 minimized*! Which for me anyway means I can make things
 totally disappear (which is what they do in xfwm4 for me
 right now) and still get them back with xfdeskmenu. That
 could be one way of vanishing your panel and getting it
 back with two clicks. That said, I have not tried
 minimizing the panel yet, but I don't see why it should
 act any diffrent. Xfdeskmenu show it as existing in it's
 list and would probably show it in brackets if it were
 minimized.

Cheers,
Jonathan