root window completely messed up

Biju Chacko botsie at myrealbox.com
Sun Sep 15 07:11:37 CEST 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002 14:07:12 -0700, Net Llama! wrote:

> Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Biju Chacko wrote:
> >

> >>Would you mind posting a screenshot? It may give us some ideas.
> >

> >   Here you are, Biju. Two of 'em, in fact. This display problem has
> >   never
> > shown up before -- in 5 years -- so I'm really at a loss what to do.
>
> This looks like a videodriver problem.  I've seen this happen before
> when the videodriver wasn't right for the hardware.  Also in some very
> limited circumstances, it means that your videocard is dying.

Could be that, I suppose. But I'd expect there to be more problems than
this. The odd thing is that everything else seems to be OK.

I am afraid that I am at a total loss. The only suggestion that I have
is kinda "Duh ..." as in:

Duh ... what happens if you try to set another background using xfbd ?

or with xsetroot -solid black

-- b