Session retention

Dmitry DELTA Malykhanov d726f6e at SDF.LONESTAR.ORG
Tue Sep 10 19:15:16 CEST 2002

Rich,

Standard RH rpms are packaged in some weird way, and does not allow xfwm
session manager to restart mozilla. Just check, if you have
/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0 full of shared libraries. If it is there, that's
the reason.

Explanation: /usr/bin/mozilla is just a shell script to setup several
environment variables and invoke /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0/mozilla-bin.
However, xfwm session manager can't realize that the original executable
name was /usr/bin/mozilla (but that's ok, that's the way it works, it's
not a bug, it's a feature :). Thus, when xfwm tries to restart
mozilla-bin, it can't find required libraries and nothing comes up.

There are three ways, how you can solve it:

1) cumbersome: rebuild mozilla, so it will keep all it's shared libraries
under /usr/lib (or /usr/local/lib, or whatever is in your /etc/ld.conf)

2) just ugly: add /usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0 to the /etc/ld.conf (don't forget
to run /sbin/ldconfig as root!)

3) fast: look into the /usr/bin/mozilla and modify your ~/.profile to
setup MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables,
something like

MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0
export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:+:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 06:40:49 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
> To: xfce at moongroup.com
> Subject: Session retention
>
>   Since I upgraded this system to Red Hat 7.3, mozilla-1.0.0 and xfce-3.8.18
> mozilla does not automatically load on its virtual desktop when I invoke
> 'startx'. It used to do so. The virtual terminals, pine, jpilot, openoffice
> and other apps do pop (or crawl, as the case may be) back into existence
> when I start a session, but not mozilla.
>
>   Might anyone have ideas on why not?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich
>
> Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President
>
>                        Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
>             2404 SW 22nd Street | Troutdale, OR 97060-1247 | U.S.A.
>  + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
>                          http://www.appl-ecosys.com

It's me -- Delta at SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

"I don't advise it, citizen, mn-e-eh... I don't advise it. You'll be eaten."