Strange behavior with upgrade to RH 7.3

Jack Coates jack at monkeynoodle.org
Fri Sep 6 17:56:57 CEST 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 08:16, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 10:22, Philip Dean wrote:
>
> > Would you be willing to share your partitioning
> > scheme?  I am always looking for ways to improve or
> > tweak my systems.  Right now I am using five partitions.
> >
> > /boot
> > /
> > /home
> > /usr
> > /storage
>
> 	I have been using a scheme like this for a while and it's been working.
>
> /
> /home
> /opt
> /usr
> /usr/local
> /usr/src
> /var
> /var/lib
>
> /var/lib is there for the eventual/possible/need for any MySQL databases
> that might be needed.

Having just done this with a Mandrake 8.2 reinstall, here's my setup and
recommendation for how not to do it:

I have:

/	-10G
/home	-10G

I then rsync /usr/local/ and selected directories under /var/ (www,
lib/mysql) to a backup location under /home.

I would recommend (and will do this next hard disk upgrade):

/		-5G
/var		-5G
/usr/local	-5G
/home		-10G or remaining space on the spindle, whichever comes first.

/ and /var are a little bigger than necessary, but these days, who cares
:-)

rsyncing important directories to another partition or disk is highly
recommended though -- this is my incremental backup, with a monthly dump
to CD.

--
Jack Coates
Monkeynoodle: A Scientific Venture...