RH 6.2->7.3 Upgrade: Update

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Sep 5 22:51:45 CEST 2002

  Progress!

  I restored /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ from the backup tape and now I have
both the asclock and moveable windows (with full cut-and-paste abilities)
back again. Whew!

  But, the control panel still is colorless, except for the icons (which
were also restored from tape).

  And, I cannot find the neat skin for mozilla that I had grown used to
using. Don't know where that was so I can copy it back from the tape.

  And, of course, I have many hours of work ahead of me getting all the
critical applications to work again. I suppose it's appropriate to say that
progress on this upgrade is gained bit by bit.

  If it helps, I'll grab a screen shot and show that the root window's
background is there, the window decorations are there, but the control panel
(except for the icons) is colorless.

  FWIW, I will recommend the Tandberg Data SLR drives (except the SLR-5) and
BRU backup software (from what's now The Tolis Group) without reservation.
The support from these folks has been as solid as WordPerfect's support was
in the 1980s, when they set the standard for everyone else. It's been a year
now since I upgraded to the SLR-60 drive (60G on each tape) and I'm now
running BRU-17.0.2. They are worth every penny I spent on them for the
reliability and support. They've saved me many times when I've done sleepy,
stupid things (such as accidently wiping out all the dot-files in my home
directory) and when upgrading from one version of Red Hat to another.

  We're quick to criticize and complain when companies screw up. I try to be
as quick with praise and thanks when they do an outstanding job. These two
companies have my full support and continued patronage.

Thanks all!

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | rshepard at appl-ecosys.com