reflecting names of running applications in terminal-names

Bartosch Pixa dante at microdiscovery.de
Wed Sep 4 17:26:11 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 17:11, Bartosch Pixa wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 13:53, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-09-04 at 03:08, David Wijnants wrote:
> >
> > > I tried this shell script version of the same thing:
> > >
> > >   #!/bin/sh
> > >   # changes the terminal title
> > >   printf "\x1b]0;$1\007"
> > >
> > > Works fine with rxvt, but not with xterm =(
> >
> > 	I remember reading something about a million years ago in Linux Gazette
> > on how to do this but I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday
> > so...
> >

> try this one:
>
> xtitle ()
> {
> echo -n -e "\033]0;$*\007"
> }

in case this doesn't help, try this one:

if [ "$TERM" = "xterm" -o "$TERM" = "xterm-color" ]
then
  PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;<${USER}@${HOSTNAME}>: ${PWD}\007"'
  export PROMPT_COMMAND
fi

next time i should finish reading my .bashrc before posting here, that
way i wouldn't have to reply to my own mail *g

Bartosch