That cursed mouse cursor

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Oct 10 02:18:02 CEST 2002

Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

> On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> On a toshiba laptop running Redat 7.3, what can I do to make my mouse
>> cursor more visible?  Currently it sort of disappears when in motion
>> then reappears when stopped.  Often it quite difficult to find again.
>>
>> It pale and small currently.  Can I turn it black and larger some how?
>
>   It probably needs more sunlight and water.
>
>   Until then, add this to your ~/.xfce/xinitrc:
>
> xset +fp "/usr/local/share/xfce/cursors"

Thanks, I don't have such a file but created a new one at
~/.xfce/xinitrc as stipulated and inserted the text.  I see no
improvement on a restart.  Further, if I run the command from the cl
I get this baffling error, and the cursor doesn't change in any way.

$ xset +fp "/usr/share/xfce/cursors"
X Error of failed request:  86
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Serial number of failed request:  8