Package building (was: Re: Critical need for next release)

LiNuCe linuce at free.fr
Wed Oct 2 14:48:02 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 14:29, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 08:21, linuce at free.fr wrote:
> > Building a Slackware package is simple : you should install a software
> > in a "relocated" root directory (as for other distribs) that you will
> > later tar-gzip (with makepkg wich take special care of symlinks).
> >
> > Here is the script I've used for XFCE-3.8.16 that I provided for
> > example purpose on how to build a Slackware package...
>
> 	Thanks.  Will this work to build a package for Slack on a RH box?

Hmmm ... As far as I know, the script will work even on RH/oter distro. The
problem is that RH doesn't have makepkg, the Slackware package builder.
However, if XFCE does not install symlink (that's the case if I remember
well), a simple tar+gzip of the package tree will work without any problem
(do not forget to set package tree permissions to root.root, and if you
really want to be closest to Slackware standard, set  all the  bin
directory to root.bin).

Since we are at it, take care of library : RH/other distribs probably
doesn't have the same libraries that Slackware !!!!

--
LiNuCe !