Critical need for next release

linuce at free.fr linuce at free.fr
Wed Oct 2 14:21:35 CEST 2002

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 13:46, Joe Klemmer wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-02 at 01:15, Chris Scheller wrote:
> > > Edscott's RPM runs through alien to make a .deb just fine.
> >
> > just thought i would throw this out there. i have a prototype for a
> > slackware package if anyone is interested. also have the built slack
> > package as well.
>
> 	How did you go about building the package?  Did you use alien or build
> it manually?  I've been using checkinstall to make rpms out of source
> for a while and have been thinking about making Debian & Slackware
> packages with it for all the stuff I'm semi keeping.

Building a Slackware package is simple : you should install a software in
a "relocated" root directory (as for other distribs) that you will later
tar-gzip (with makepkg wich take special care of symlinks).

Here is the script I've used for XFCE-3.8.16 that I provided for example
purpose on how to build a Slackware package : let's call it Build.sh. To
build a package, run it as a non-root user, the cd to
$TMP/xfce-$version-pkgroot, log in as root, change permission to root.root
(chown root.root -R .) and build the package with makepkg (makepkg
xfce-$version.tgz). That's all !

Simpler doesn't exists ;)

8< 8< 8< cut here 8< 8< 8<
#!/bin/bash

set -e -x

cpu=i686
arch=i686
prefix=usr/X11R6
engines="/usr/X11R6/lib/gtk/themes/engines"

name=xfce
version=3.8.16
cwd=$PWD
tmp=${TMP:-/tmp}
pkg=$tmp/$name-$version-pkgroot

if [ ! -d $tmp ]
then
   mkdir -m 755 -p $tmp
else
   rm -rf $tmp/$name-$version
   rm -rf $pkg
fi

tar xyf $name-$version.tar.bz2 -C $tmp &>/dev/null || \
tar xzf $name-$version.tar.gz  -C $tmp
cd $tmp/$name-$version

# You guess it, I'm french :)
# export LINGUAS="fr"

# Setting $cpu to i386 and $arch to i686 allows optimized
# build for i686 class processor with backward compatibility
# for i386 processor.

export CFLAGS="-O3 -march=$arch -mcpu=$cpu"

./configure \
   --prefix="/$prefix" \
   --disable-xinerama \
   --disable-xft \
   --enable-gtk-engine=$engines \
   --enable-gdk-pixbuf=yes \
   --enable-imlib=no \
   --disable-audiofile \
   --disable-arts \
   --disable-dt \
   --disable-gdm \
   --enable-old-style \
   --with-data-dir="/$prefix/share/xfce" \
   --with-conf-dir="/$prefix/etc/xfce"
gmake

mkdir -m 755 -p $pkg
gmake DESTDIR=$pkg install

pushd $pkg/$prefix/bin
   for bin in $(file * | grep "executable.*not stripped" | cut -f 1 -d :)
   do
      strip --strip-all $bin
   done
popd

strip --strip-debug $pkg/$engines/libxfce.so

gzip -9 $pkg/$prefix/man/man?/*

cd $tmp
rm -rf $name-$version
exit 0