upgrade

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu Nov 14 04:40:42 CET 2002

On 13 Nov 2002 18:59:44 -0500 Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-11-13 at 16:08, Tony wrote:
>
> > I've had nothing but problems. Errors saying lib<what-ever> not
> > installed, when it is, etc,etc. I've had much better luck with
> > tarballs...
>
> 	That usually means you have something installed but not using
> 	the rpm
> database.  If you want to use rpms them you have to always use rpms.
> use the utility checkinstall to make rpms out of tarballs and it's
> been the greatest thing since sliced bread.  I can install anything
> I want and not have to worry about dependencies.  Another option is
> to use apt and that way all dependencies will automatically be
> satisfied.

My past experience with RPM has been that this even more frequently
means that the RPM was not developed for your particular distro.
LSB/FSB or no, every distro tailors the system a little differently,
and even though your RPM database correctly describes your system,
some new foreign RPMs just can't find libraries that are really
installed.  That's the major grief with RPM.

OTH, most tarballs use a standard ./configure, and if you can't find a
library automatically, you can pass a switch to set the path to that
library.  You can probably do something similar by tinkering with the
RPM, but that's more akin to waving chicken bones.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Redhat 7.3 system