Help restoring messed up settings

Net Llama! netllama at linux-sxs.org
Tue Nov 5 15:06:06 CET 2002

On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Chris Green wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:30:58PM -0500, kwall at kurtwerks.com wrote:
> > >     XFce : /home/chris/.xfce/xfce3rc File not found.
> >
> > And this one. $HOME/.xfce/xfce3rc doesn't exist.
> >
> This was the fundamental problem and was also causing my "Cannot
> create file" message, the .xfce directory was missing.
>
> Can I add a plea for more helpful error messages here, a message which
> says "Cannot create file" should *always* say what file it cannot
> create.  If the message had done this I would have taken about ten
> seconds to fix the problem rather than several hours.

Huh?  Had you attempted to poke around to look for a reason why it
couldn't create the file, you would have determined the problem.  In
almost every case i've ever seen, a "cannot create file" error means
either that the dir that its trying to write the file to doesn't exist, or
that dir has permissions which preventing writing to it.

> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >     sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Permission denied
> > >
> > > Which of these matter?
> >
> > Um, I'm typically of the opinion that all error messages matter.
>
> Yes, our coding standards at work say this, there should be *no*
> compiler warnings etc. when building production code.

THose aren't compiler warnings.

> > As root:
> >
> > # chmod 666 /dev/dsp
> >
> I wonder why it doesn't get installed this way?

What makes you so sure it doesn't?  I think the problem is your backups.

Lonni J Friedman				netllama at linux-sxs.org
Linux Step-by-step & TyGeMo		     http://netllama.ipfox.com