xfsamba question

edscott wilson garcia edscott at imp.mx
Wed May 22 14:41:10 CEST 2002

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 06:53, Michal Szymanski wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 01:10:38PM +0200, H.R. ter Veer wrote:
> > > So the question is: how can 'xfsamba' do the mount, not knowing any
> > > password?
> > I guess xfsamba uses your username as username :-)
>
> Without the password? Very unlikely, as when I try "smbmount" by hand
> with myself as a user, it asks for the password (which is, needless
> to say, different from my unix' password)

If not specified within the browsing preferences, xfsamba will use
"smbclient -U Guest%" for browsing and "smbmount -o Guest%" for
mounting. The "%" indicates a password follows, and since nothing
follows, it is a null password. So I guess that your guest account is
enabled with a null password.

Also, please note that if you use redhat-7.3, you must have xfsamba
version 0.47 (CVS version) in order for the password query box to
automatically pop up when requested, this is due to changes in
samba-2.2.3.

Edscott