Next taskbar generation

Staszyszyn, Marcin mstaszyszyn at heiler.com
Mon May 20 14:34:36 CEST 2002

As a taskbar author I want to summarize here a few points of discussion,
which has arisen on the list during last few days. This mail contains a few
proposition of next-generation taskbar features.
1. enabling taskbar at compilation time in not sufficient. There must be a
possibility of switching it on/off from setup window. My proposition is as
follows:
taskbar is enabled by default at compilation time, but can be completely
removed from xfce by passing '--disable-taskbar' option to configure script.
Therefore all binary distributions (primary rpm-based) have taskbar enabled
by default, but all anti-taskbar xfce users are still able to have xfce
version not polluted by this resource-wasting feature ;-). Of course if
taskbar is enabled at compilation time, it can always be switched off from
setup window. In that case even wide, thin button at the bottom of xfce
panel doesn't appear.

2. new features:
- custom height of taskbar itself and opening button (maybe proportional to
xfce size). It sounds good to 1600x1200 monitor users
- custom minimum size of task button (i.e. button representing a window on
taskbar). When button must be shrunk bellow that size taskbar area is
expanded to hold another line of task buttons. You can also set no. of those
task button lines (like in Windows when resizing taskbar).
- edit pop-up menu which arises when task button is right-clicked (it's not
present at all in current implementation). All valid xfwm events can be put
into that menu (e.g. close, minimalise, maximalise, make [un]stick).
- GeoShellX / KDE2 behaviour of task buttons i.e. compressing windows with
the same name to single task button. I was not happy with that behaviour in
KDE2, so it has to be customizable.
- 'window trash' -- all rarely used windows can be removed from taskbar and
be accessible by pressing special 'trash' button, presenting pop-up list of
all 'trashed' windows to chose from. Great possibility to save space on
taskbar area.

3. taskbar state must be saved between sessions

What do you think of that?
Marcin