taskbar - impressive

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Sun May 19 05:14:46 CEST 2002

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 22:42, Patrick Wiseman wrote:

> xfce panel (I prefer it attached myself); it even (very subtly) pays
> attention to system load.

	Very subtle.  I haven't figured out what it does with this on.  :-)

> All in all, a very impressive addition to my very favorite desktop
> manager!

	You know, one of the really wonderful things I've found over the years
(it's been, what, 6 years Olivier?) is the little bitty things that it
has or can do that just make life so cool.

	As an example, last week there was some data what needed to be
diff'ed.  Two databases were out of sync.  They dumped the data (list of
names) from the two and were trying to get two lists; one of the missing
records from the ldap db and one of the missing names from the oracle
db.  After a TON of effort by three different people I got the job.  I
simply used xfdiff to make a diff then split the records out into two
files.  Took a total of 15 minutes to do (10 to clean up and sort the
data and 5 for xfdiff to run.  There are over 1.1 million names).

	When I was showing the developers how I was doing it they were all
like,  "Oooo!"  Aaahhh!"

--
No, I _don't_ have anything better to do right now.