New rpm wipes out all settings

Neal linuxer at ptd.net
Fri May 17 03:20:51 CEST 2002

On Thu, 16 May 2002 17:08:42 -0700 (PDT)
Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>   I'm rather upset about the upgrade from 3.8.16 to 3.8.18. I did this
> because I wanted to try out the taskbar. I rebuilt the .src.rpm and then
> freshened the existing installation. After this, I ran the script,
> "xfce_upgrade" and I lost everything. Panel was reset, panel button labels
> gone, all applications gone, popup menus gone. Everything. The upgrade
> script reported that it moved all existing files to some backup directory,
> but it does not exist.
>
>   After the hassle I went through upgrading to 3.8.16, I don't need this.
> I'm not at all a happy camper. The exact opposite, for that matter.

Rich,
This has happened to me on more than one occasion.  I attribute it to having installed an RPM then later having built from source.

What I think has happened to me is xfce was in /usr/local/share/xfce from an RPM.  When I built from source, the spec file installed into /usr/share/xfce.  All of your paths to the icons are probably pointing to /usr/local/share/xfce and there is nothing there.

Also, you can verify it by looking in your sounds configuration.

It's a pain in the butt, but once built from source, I stay building from source and avoid having to go into each fly-up menu and re-pointing to the icons.

--
Neal
Registered Linux User #159445 running RedHat 7.3