somewhat off topic - NOT an XFce bug

Neal linuxer at ptd.net
Sun May 12 17:20:02 CEST 2002

I downloaded RedHat's new 7.3 release and installed clean on my desktop. The first thing I did was download Edscott's xfce.src rpm and build it.  It went as expected and XFce was running as slick as always.

Galeon, sylpheed-claws, Xchat and Pan all worked as expected.

I was doing some file system exploring with Xftree when X locked up. The mouse pointer would move normally, but no response from the keyboard and no window focus.  I restarted the box and repeated the sequence using Xftree.  Sure enough it locked again and again.  Thankfully, ext3 recovered each time.  I started Gnome and found that I could repeat the problem.  KDE did the same thing.

My video card is an ATI Rage 128 R with 32M of memory.  It never gave me any problem with earlier versions of X.  Normally, for no particular reason I can recall, I would set the color depth to 16-bit, and that was where I had it set during the lock-ups.

The problem disappeared when I re-set the color depth to 24-bit!  Thought I would share that with the group.

p.s.  If Joe is against 16-bit color, we all now know why.  :)
--
Neal
Registered Linux User #159445 running