Use of Mount Floppy and Mount CDROM functions

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Fri Mar 15 17:31:42 CET 2002

On Fri, 15 Mar 2002 00:48:14 +0100 Michael Klein
<el.micha.klein at gmx.net> wrote:> Edscott Wilson García wrote:
> > It should work. At least it does with redhat boxes.
> > $ ls -l /dev/fd0
> > brw-rw----    1 edscott  floppy     2,   0 Dec 28 10:34 /dev/fd0
> >
> > And when I log out it goes back to root. I suppose it has to do with
> > the "b" in the mode.
> >
> > Sorry I don't know much more about how it works.
> Hi !
> The "b" only means that it´s a block (special) device, e.g 2/0
> Put something like:
>
> /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto user,sync,noauto,nosuid,exec,nodev,unhide 0
> 0
>
> in your /etc/fstab.
> The parameter "user" is important. It tells linux that the
> floppy-device
>
> can be mounted by a user. If it´s omitted, a non-root-mount is not
> allowed...

Thanks to all who responded.  I've put all the suggestions into
practice, and now all is well.  A part of my problem with the floppy was
that the floppy I was attempting to mount had gone south since the last
time I used it.  Pretty hard to mount a floppy with a corrupt file
system!

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
WWTLRD? - Gentoo_rc6-15 xfce + sylpheed + galeon