Use of Mount Floppy and Mount CDROM functions

Edscott Wilson García edscott at imp.mx
Thu Mar 14 04:12:29 CET 2002

On Mié 13 Mar 2002 09:29, Collins wrote:
> I can easily control most restricted functions by su in a terminal, then
> perform the function.  Is there any way to envelope the Mount Floppy and
> CDROM functions such that the functions work for a non-root user?
>
> If not, what use are these functions, since not many people are going to
> run xfce as root?

They work for non root users too, but the non root user must own the console.
I have no idea how it works, but if the non-root user is the first one who
logs into the console, then /dev/fd0 and /dev/cdrom appear as owned by that
user and then the xfmount works fine.

If you log in from a remote machine, then the only way for it to work is for
the non-root user to have an open login at the console. I presume kde and
gnome work the same way, but I can't vouch for it.

Edscott